COCONUT ROASTED CHICKEN
Time: 1 hr 30 min
- 1 whole free-range chicken
- 400ml coconut milk
- 400ml chicken stock
- 1 knob fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 whole red chillies, slightly crushed
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 stick lemongrass, bruised
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Fry the chicken off with some olive oil (breast side down) in the pot to get a nice golden skin colour.
- Add coconut milk and stock to the pot on medium-high heat, then add ginger, garlic, chillies, lime leaves and lemongrass and bring to the boil.
- Place the pot in the oven with lid off, cooking for around 45 minutes (depending on the size of the chicken).
- Remove the chicken from the broth and let rest for five minutes.
- Skim excess fat off the top of the broth, then add lime juice, sugar and fish sauce and stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Chop chicken into pieces and serve in a bowl over rice, pour on coconut broth and garnish with fresh mint and chillies.
ZESTY BEEF PIE
Time: 2 hours
Serves: 4 pies
- 700g chuck steak, cut into 3cm cubes
- 3 tbsp olive oil, for cooking
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary, finely diced
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 cups of beef stock
- Dash of red wine
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper, then toss the meat in the flour and shake off any excess.
- In a large frying pan, seal the meat in olive oil over high heat until browned. Set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to the frying pan and sautée carrots, garlic, rosemary and orange zest on low for two minutes.
- Return beef to the pan, add beef stock and red wine; simmer for 30 minutes with the lid on. Take the lid off and cook for a further hour.
- Divide the mixture equally between four ramekins.
- Cut pastry into quarters and place a quarter on top of each of the ramekins and brush pastry with beaten egg.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes and serve with a side salad.
Time: 1 hr 30 min
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 110g caster sugar
- 110g brown sugar
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 2 free range eggs
- 1 cup mashed, ripe banana (approx. 2 large bananas)
- 225g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 100ml buttermilk
- 1 tbsp Nutella (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan forced).
- Grease and line the base and sides of a loaf tin.
- Beat butter with a mixer until smooth and creamy, then slowly add sugars and vanilla extract, beating for a further three to five minutes until light in colour.
- Fold in one egg at a time, then add mashed banana and mix well.
- Stir together flour, bicarb soda, cinnamon and salt. Pour in half the buttermilk, mixing well at the same time. Add the other half of buttermilk and mix to ensure a smooth consistency.
- Swirl Nutella through the batter with a knife, as an option.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 60 minutes.